10/13/2010

Four Years of Dating

This evening, after we were finishing dinner, I looked up at the clock and realized that today is the anniversary of my husband and I's first date! (I have no pictures of the date, but this is the shirt I wore, so it will have to do!)



Just prior to this, I had started working as an intern at the church. And as you can tell, a very mature intern at that. When my boss hired me, my job was a new position. As we were hammering out the details, I distinctly remember him saying (jokingly), "Now your contract is for a year, but if something should come up...like you join a dance company...or get married...I'd understand you leaving."

Both those things happened the next year.

But back to the first date.

Friday, October 13.

I went to a dance class that afternoon as he drove from the "Middletown" where he lived, and now we both live, to the Big City where I lived. His brother lived in the Big City at the time too, so I drove to his house to meet him.

I was SO nervous on the way over. I write when I'm nervous and used to journal a lot. So, yes, I wrote while I drove. Scribbled all over a scrap of paper I had in the car. Probably wrote a little more in the car sitting in the driveway. Finally got up the courage to get out of the car and go up to the door. I still remember him opening the door, the blue and white shirt he wore, those beautiful green eyes, blond hair, and oh-so-handsome smile...I digress.

"Hey! It's been a while," I managed to stammer.

We had not seen each other since graduating from college a year and a half earlier.

Inside, he had been playing a board game with his brother, and we continued to play well past when we should have left to go to dinner. So, dinner was skipped as I drove home to change and wait for him to pick me up for our evening.

After the Ballet, we were hungry and decided to go to the grocery store and buy food to cook at home. We took our time, and had fun, even stopped for ice cream on the way. By the time he took me home, it had grown very late, so we decided to save the dinner for the following evening.

He claims that this was his way of securing a second date.

The next evening, he came over and we cooked and watched the movie French Kiss with Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline. When he left that night, I could already tell, somehow, he was working his way into my heart.

He was leaving the next day to go back home, so we hung out a little in the afternoon, again at his brother's and then I believe we caught a yoga class. Then, he left...but our back-and-forth courtship/ relationship began (mostly him driving back and forth, because I worked all the time).

The dating didn't last too long. We decided we'd be better suited as husband and wife.

Happy Anniversary, to my best and only ex-boyfriend ;)
Thanks for pursuing me

No comments:

Post a Comment