2/01/2011

Long Trip: A Few Words, A Lot of Pictures

I've been reading,
cooking,
and traveling.

And that's how we survive January in this part of the world!

I decided to read through the entire Bible during the month of January. For the whole story on that, visit my newest blog: www.thruin30.blogspot.com

Reading outside (on the trampoline, of course) during one of 
our 60 degree days a few weeks ago!
  
Before the trip, aside from reading, I was teaching some dance and gymnastics here and there. The small town rec center has a few pieces of old gym equipment, so we make fun out of it! The wobbly, wooden balance beam reminds me of my days at Internment Camp, Gymnastics Camp. 

Sorry, that was terrible.

As you can see, I'm a slave driver. 

I've also been chronicling the progress of our NEW SUMMER HOME!! We call it -- The Bungalow. A quaint 30'x20' paradise we're looking forward to calling home. My husband has been doing tremendous amounts of work on this place, prior to his trip. His cousin has been helping a ton, and my dad even drove down for a week to do some work. 

My husband and his cousin installing a door on the side of the house

Despite the photo, we haven't gotten too much snow in the small town, which ironically is the only place people are wanting it! Go figure, farming community. 

My husband is my making slight amendments to the dimensions of the house :)




While dad was in town, I took the opportunity to try some new recipes. I'm proud of my adventuresome in-laws who humor me and partake. 

They even like it sometimes.

I tried:
Sherried Tomato Soup 
Pesto, Spinach, Mushroom Lasagna
Eggplant Meat Bake
Artisan Bread
Pizza Dough Bread

Yes, many of the recipes didn't even have meat and were still well received. They were all great, I kept all the recipes and I'm willing to share.

Next, my husband, his dad and a few others packed up and headed south. 
Way south. 
Like 2,000 miles south.

They went to deliver supplies to a Central American country in this:

His dad taking off tape from the beautiful new paint job. Thought he looked like a fly on the windshield :)




Really. Yes, it will take a while. 

And so I went north.
During the biggest snowstorm of the millennium. 
Did I make the right decision? 
I picture myself on a bus (eating, sleeping, showering) for at least 2 weeks straight. 
Oh yes, I made the right decision. 

I drove north for a wedding (through snow), had a great time at the wedding, despite freezing my buns off (more snow), drove to my home town - the big city!!! (through snow). 

I've been spending some much needed time with family and friends.

Sister enjoying her gourmet garlic grilled cheese

Sister and I had a rewarding date to the dentist followed by shopping and lunch. We were so spoiled growing up. Our dentist's office is downtown in a really fun, posh, historic shopping district. We loved going to there, because mom would always take us to get chocolate phosphates at the Chocolatier after our appointments. 

Woe to you if you had to get the fluoride treatment that day.

I grew up and found no satisfaction with other dentists, and my sister just hasn't gone since she moved out! Ha!
Actually, she had a better report than me. 
She has impeccable oral hygiene, taking her toothbrush and floss to work everyday.

Salad including lots of funny things like falafle crumbles

Delicious local vegetarian restaurant. 
I'm not one, but I usually take the opportunity when I'm away from the small town to ingest less cow.


Sushi, sashimi, edamame, oh my!

Which inevitably includes a Sushi house, right? 
Dinner with mom and littler sister. 

Little sis and mom checking out her new camera
My sister was also getting ready for an interview later that day for a feature article on her biz. Go K!

La mia sorella - la famosa :)

Of course, I continue to cook on the road. 

Leftover spinach dip from Veg Restaurant mixed with eggs
Mom took a bunch of photos with her new camera, insisting excitedly that it looked like "Green Eggs and Ham!"
Yeah, she's ready to be a grandma :)

Of course, I continue to raid her recipes. I love my mom's recipes.
I appreciate them all the more, as I get older and realize there is no one who cooks like her. 
Now, for the most part, it's not what you want to eat when you want some good, wholesome, home-cooked comfort food (and now with my mother-in-law, I have the best of both worlds!!)
But when you want clean, refreshing, light and pure gastronomy, 
my mom's your gal.

I'll share one I remember well from my childhood years. 
How many mid-western girls do you know who regularly got Tabouli in the '80's and early '90's? 
How many had even heard of garbanzo beans?



And a classic from my mother-in-law for you, for good measure :)

Rhubarb Cobbler -- a church pot-luck staple!
Though I'd had lentils and bulgar, I'd never had a lick of rhubarb till I moved to the small town.

My husband will be eating beans and rice soon -- actually, probably he'll be eating a lot of cereal. 
I figured out Skype (how nifty), and spent evenings chatting with him up until they crossed the border and lost connection early this morning.


It's been a long trip already...come back soon!!!

I didn't believe the weathermen, but they were right. 
It snowed. 
For hours on end. 

10 a.m.
5 p.m.

 And now I'm stuck here indefinitely.

Dad and I dressed up like Eskimos and walked to the grocery store today. 
For fun. 
We do things like that.

Then, he took this pic and sent it to his friend saying he made his pregnant daughter shovel the drive :)

Truth is he wouldn't let me outside. 
But that didn't stop me, 
and I did get (a little) shoveling in :)

Good night. 
Stay warm. 
Or stay cool if you are south of the border.



5 comments:

  1. A very nice roundup. I feel all caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you forget about the best part? When a table of guys sent a piece of cake to a table of three women, three of whom are married and two of whom are pregnant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for the coming baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!
    I am enjoying your blog and glad to see a young healthy pregnant woman.
    I found you through a comment you posted on bodyrock.tv.
    I am about 7 weeks pregnant, so I'm a newbee. Any input you have on the workouts or eating while pregnant would be put to use here!
    Thanks, and the very best to your family. :)

    I can be found at onepregnancy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement. I will sure post bits on those things - I'm very passionate about both ;) Congratulations to you too!!

    ReplyDelete